Monday, March 24, 2008

"HELP......

...the Zebra is going to EAT me!"


A classic moment from our Safari adventure this past week. My husband was driving and I had my daughter on my lap (don't worry I am not Brittany---it is a drive through where you literally go 8 miles an hour on a closed course and feed the animals that roam free! My other two monkeys were dangling out the back windows!)

Two fearless Zebras decided to poke their head INSIDE our car....needless to say Lauren was not pleased.

The rest of the day she kept repeating "It's ok.....Zebras are nice!" --That is what I kept telling her to calm her down.


Here are two projects I did last night---nice to get back to my stamping stuff!

The first card features an image and sentiment from Penny Black. The flowers are called Tigress. I colored them with Prismacolor pencils and then clear embossed them. They have a nice shine in real life.

I used my Nestability rectangle dies to mat and frame the image (I used gold cardstock for behind the flowers.)

The designer paper is from Memory Box Sugar Collection. I love the patterns in this pack.

The stamps and designer paper can be found at Stamper's Dream.


Materials used: Stamps-Penny Black (available at Stamper's Dream); cardstock-white, black, gold (Stampin' Up!); brilliance black ink; designer paper by Memory Box-Sugar Collection; slit punch (SU!); horizontal slot punch (SU!); black brads; Cuttlebug and Nestability dies; clear embossing powder, versamark pen and heat tool (SU!); dimensionals (SU!); ribbon (May Arts); Prismacolor pencils; odorless mineral spirits.

The next project is one I created with stamps and little clipboard set from Stampendous. The stamps are called "Clipboard Decor" and are made specifically to work with these mini clipboards (that Stampendous sells three different sizes in a pack--picture here!)

I used the largest clipboard and altered it to make a memo pad holder. I covered the clipboard with yellow cardstock. I flipped the base over and traced it on yellow cardstock and cut it out. Then, I covered the board with Modge Podge and adhered the measured cardstock on top and then sanded the edges.

I stamped the inside detail on white cardstock and cut it out and adhered it to the clipboard as well.

I used the stamps in the Stampendous set to create the border and the accent along the clip. The sentiment is stamped underneath the pad and I stamped it on the top of the pad to make it pretty for a gift presentation.

I attached a flower on the top of the clip to finish off the design. What an easy project. This would be adorable to leave by the phone or computer for messages or you could attach magnetic tape on the back and use it as a grocery list on your refrigerator.





Here is the view of the clipboard without the post it notes. The sentiment is also stamped on the base.

The clipboards and Stampendous Clipboard Decor stamps can be found at Stamper's Dream.


Materials used: Stamps- Clipboard decor by Stampendous; clipboard (Stampendous); bananna and white cardstock (Stampin' Up!); ribbon (SU!); large pop dot (SU!); button; flower (Paper Studio); Modge Podge; red classic ink (SU!); sanding block (SU!).


Thanks for stopping by!

44 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

that is too funny lol!

love the card and clipboard

Amy said...

Funny! Well okay maybe not to her...I used to by like that and maybe still like it to some degree!

Great card and clipboard. What did you use to clear emboss the flowers? A Versamark pen or something else?

Donna Baker said...

oh man, the look of sheer terror on her face! I consoled my niece when she was 1 1/2 when the blender scared her. We learned the motion & sound and 5 months later, she knows what the blender does (proceeds to make the motion & sound) and is no longer scared of it. Love your card, it's so soft & pretty, love the layout. The clipboard is TOO cute!

Juanita B said...

WOW, that photo is one to definitely give her in an album about her when she graduates from high school! The zebra's heads probably looked ENOURMOUS to Lauren.

My, my, my, Carolyn!! I love these two projects. The patterned paper with the flower and black is just beautiful. I wish I could see the shine, although I can't imagine it being more beautiful than it already is.

The clipboard is adorable. Fabulous colors. great design, and the flower and sentiment work so well to soften it! TFS.

Ila said...

Sounds like a fun day to remember..lol.
Love your card and clipboard...what a great idea...They are both Gorgeous!!

Joyce said...

God love it!!! Precious!!

Whimsey said...

Adorable...as always; love the flowers on the card. Just visited Stampers Dream this weekend; can't wait for some extra cash...it HAS to be spent ya know! LOL

Sorry about the darn zebras....an ostrich did that to us once...but it was ME SCREAMING, not one of my kids - LOL!

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

OMG poor little thing..There is a drive through ranch called Topsey Ranch outside Ft. Hood...tell her she can have camel drool her...When I took my kids, the camel drooled right through the sun roof and all over my friends car...NOT FUN!!!! Love your projects. Chris

Molly B said...

How cool would it be to make that clipboard and stamp all kinds of little sayings to make people smile on the pad. Then when they were feeling blue or needed a pick-me up they just rip of the top saying to get a new one. Very nice project. Now you've got me thinking. That can be scary! Classic picture of terror in Lauren's face BTW. I hated to laugh but I had to. -Molly B

Janine said...

I love that Penny Black stamp... You know, I was at work today and I was looking at that stamp and thought about doing a sample with it... Never got around to it... So pretty!!! and I LOVE that clipboard...

Katie said...

Aw, bless her little heart! That would probably scare me too!

Love the card and post it note holder! Very pretty. You have an award waiting for you on my blog! Thanks for all the inspiration! Katie

Lee said...

Oh gotta love the zebras!!! She'll look back and laugh....when she's much older!! And you'll have a cute scrap page!!

The card is just lovely!! I'm going to have to add more companies to my shopping list now!!! LOL And what adorable clipboards!!! You're just an enabler is all!!! LOL

Dawn Easton said...

LOL now that is a cute pic! Poor thing being frightened of Zebras! She looks scared to death! Geez Mom ;)
Your card is wonderful! Those flowers are gorgeous!
Love the clipboard idea!!

liannallama said...

oh, I love your black and tan card! Poor little thing--that zebra does look hungry!

Laura lok said...

great cards. that photo so needs to go in a scrapbook to haunt her forever. I am sure she isn't the first to be scared like that and who wouldn't be they are rather large especially to the little person. But a great memory

Bethany Paull said...

Poor girl looks so scared. Looks like one of those moments you laugh about at every future family get together. Great stampin projects too.

Melanie said...

I LOVE zebras! ;)

Great projects both! I LOVE that black at the top on you first card, the contrast is just stunning!

That little clipcboard is the most cheerful thing I've seen in a long time1

Doris said...

Beautiful card--I love the simple clean lines and the colors you chose!

Anonymous said...

If they don't behave zebras also make great rugs....
My best friends husband is a big game hunter and has many "heads" and animals mounted. He got a zebra on a South African hunt that is gorgeous! Okay...sorry if all the above offends anyone. Not intentional.
Love, love the tigress card and the clipboard is adorable.

Judi said...

The card and clipboard are both very cute! So funny about the zebra.

Michele Kovack said...

What a priceless picture! Love both your card and clipboard!!!

Robyn said...

Cute projects!! I would be freaked out too if a zebra stuck it's head in my car!!

jjcreations said...

Great photo...something for her to look back on for sure!!! I love your black card. It is fantastic. Very stunning. Joan

Anonymous said...

Love the card with the gorgeous paper! The clipboard is way cute too!
Your frightened daughter reminded me of the time we drove through safari-land. My son was 18 months old and had just woken from his nap when he spotted an ostrich tapping on the car window. He sprang up, rubbed his eyes and shouted "BIG CHICKEN!" ROFL Cute story, TFS such a priceless photo:)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous projects. And your poor baby!!! I hope she isn't scared of Zebras for life!
Hugs and smiles

Elaine said...

Very lovely card! Great color combination; the gold cardstock mat is really nice.

Cute clip board! Nice and cheerful.

Vicki G said...

Cards are Beautiful. I am GLAD that you are not Brittany!!!!! Poor Baby.......Zebras are nice, from a distance!!!!!

You are So talented!!!

A Year Of Quotes said...

What a stunning card and lovely clipboard!

Andria said...

Your poor little girl! She looked so scared! I bet she loved the zoo anyway.
Your cards are gorgeous! But, that is not a surprise!

Unknown said...

OMG Carolyn, I know that I shouldn't be laughing at that photo of your daughter, but it reminds me of some photos of oldest son when we put him in one of those 'plastic ball pits' for the first time... same expression of sheer terror!! LOL
LOVE your gorgeous card and the altered clipboard is AMAZING... awesome work girl!

Christina Fischer said...

OMG -- that photo is so funny and sad at the same time! :)

Your projects are fantastic -- love the colors on both!

Anonymous said...

The NERVE of those zebras! Poor kid. That would have terrified me, too!

Okay I LOVE that card, Carolyn. Love the black with the dp. And those gold flowers... just gorgeous!

Darling clipboard, too. So cute how you put the flower over the clip with a button and a bow.

Unknown said...

Oh no....your poor sweet daughter. And what a great scrapbook page pic that one is!

LOVE your card and clipboard. Your work is awesome, and over-the-top gorgeous. I always look forward to coming to your blog to see what creative and awesome things you've done!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

BEAUTIFUL projects! Love the zebra story. . .too funny!

Unknown said...

That clipboard is just beautiful!! too funny about the zebra! What a great picture of the whole scene! :)

Unknown said...

That clipboard is just beautiful!! too funny about the zebra! What a great picture of the whole scene! :)

Rita said...

I see a great scrapbook page in the making here Carolyn!!! This was a precious unforgetable moment! Thanks for sharing.

These cards are fantastic! I luv that first one so pretty & the colors are great! The next card is so different & so cute, I luv it!

Debbie Olson said...

Funny story! Those mean zebras. . . ;-) Love your card (great colors/very classy) as well as the sweet clipboard!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I never would have thought to have paired the houndstooth background with these flowers. The result is stunning. Your work rocks as always. Please stop posting great things as you make me want to run out and buy it all!!

Mindy said...

That PB stamp is GORGEOUS! Great card!

Mindy said...

That pic of Lauren is PRICELESS. Poor baby:) I love zebras but I might react the same way if they stuck their big ol' heads in my car!

Rose Ann said...

That is a funny picture!

Your card is so pretty, and I LOVE your clipboard as well!! Awesome goodies!

Susan (susiestampalot) said...

hilarious!! is this at fossil rim in glen rose? we went there and my four year old, audrie DID get bit by a zebra who stuck it's head in the car solely for that purpose! so, it's true, they do want to eat her, but just don't tell her that!

dpkennedy said...

I love that card with the PB image! The black is so stunning! The clipboard is adorable too..they are such fun gifts! Love the picture! Kids are so funny!!